Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Introduction

First I would like to say a few words about myself so you can get to know me.

I have a bachelor’s degree in optical engineering specializing in Optical Technology and Photoelectric Instrument from Zhejiang University in China. Then I worked for a company for two years as an assistant engineer. After that I went back to graduate school and received my master’s degree in the area of laser spectroscopy in 2001, also from Zhejiang University. The same year, I came to Texas A&M University to pursue my Ph. D. under the supervision of Alexei Sokolov. Alexei, together with his colleagues back in Stanford (group leader Steven Harris) used a method which they termed molecular modulation to generate single cycle pulses. They use gas as a medium. For my dissertation, I extended this work to solids, mainly Raman crystal PbWo4 and diamond. I got my Ph. D. with a specialty in Ultrafast Optics, in December of 2007.

I worked for a private company investigating non-invasive glucose detection using femtosecond lasers for a year. Last year I switched back to work as a postdoc for Alexei to continue my work of generating singly cycle pulses using Raman crystals.

I love optics and enjoy working in the lab with the beautiful colors. In the following figure I showed a 2-D color array generated in diamond with femtosecond pulses [1].




I am also a happy mother of two children.

[1] Miaochan Zhi, Xi Wang, and Alexei V. Sokolov, "Broadband coherent light generation in diamond driven by femtosecond pulses," Opt. Express 16, 12139-12147 (2008)

http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?URI=oe-16-16-12139

No comments:

Post a Comment