Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Why I am attending the conference?

Primarily I am attending the conference to present our experimental results on applying molecular modulation method to solids to generate single cycle pulses, as opposed to other methods, such as high harmonic generation.

I am also excited to meet other fellow scientists in the same field. One of them is Professor Andy Kung, who showed some exciting new results regarding "Waveform Synthesis using Frequency Combs Generated by Molecular Modulation" at the PQE conference. He mentioned that they ordered a broadband pulse shaper from FASTLITE, from 350 nm all the way up to 2400 nm. I am very curious about how the pulse shaper works. Also I can’t wait to hear their latest experiment results.

Jun Liu, who works on the generation and amplification of tunable multicolored femtosecond laser pulses by using cascaded four-wave-mixing in transparent bulk media, obtained his visa to the United States conference for the first time and will be at the conference with his advisor Takayoshi Kobayashi. Since we work in the same area, we exchanged many emails and chatted online about our experiments. He also generously loaned me his code for calculations. It is nice that I can finally meet him in person.

I am interested in most of the talks and the posters. To me, participating at a conference is like reading a novel that is closely related to my own experience. The author is describing things which you experience but you can't describe, here the presenter presents something you don't have time to do or you haven’t thought about. I am especially looking forward to the talks which I have some experience (so I can understand almost everything) and those which have exciting new applications. I always feel excited during a conference and I am full of new ideas.
In addition, I am ready to move on to the next stage of my career and start to look for a permanent position. This is going to be a great opportunity for networking as well.

Last but least, I always like to travel and to experience different things in a new place. Moreover, as a girl who grew up in a small village right by a mountain, I miss the mountains. So it is going to be relaxing to drive into them.

No comments:

Post a Comment