Thursday, July 15, 2010

Poster preparation

I wonder why people always wait for the last moment to do things. I am no exception to that. But I find out that deadlines make you very productive and efficient. So to answer my own question I guess generally human beings are lazy.

These days I am busy with preparing the poster. I don't have an old one that I can use but I do have a template.

So I had a draft but after I checked the poster board size I have to resize it to 42 (limited by our printer) by 72 inch. UP is very generous. We will have 4 by 8 feet board to show our work. Lesson learned----check the poster board size first. I printed out the poster presentation guidelines from the website, checked one by one to make sure my style is fine. I also walked around the hall and looked at all the posters hanging there.

After I had another draft, I printed 3 different layouts in a 8 by 11 paper. On the way to lunch, I asked 3 people which one they like the best. One unanimously won.

Then more editing and finalizing. Then I sent it to Alexei, my advisor, to have a look.

After I received his email I realized I made a mistake. I sent the wrong version!

Today I will finalize and print it.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Miaochan--As I read your post about preparing your poster, I wondered whether, if given the opportunity, you would take advantage of the opportunity to have the poster printed for you and delivered to the meeting location. This isn't available for UP but is a service we've been considering. We've been told that the pricing would be comparable, or perhaps better, than what you would pay to have the poster printed yourself, and then you wouldn't have to worry about getting it to the meeting. I'd like to collect feedback about whether this sounds interesting and whether you've seen or used a poster printing service at other conferences. All you readers out there in the blogospher, please weigh in, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Erin:

    I think it will be a time saver.

    We seldom use the large plotter. Yesterday it took us almost a day to print the poster. We did:
    1. intall the drivers in the computer. you need get secret port name from the computer support team. They don't want to give it away easily so people won't abuse the plotter.
    2. change the glossy paper to a normal one for test printing. Heard paper is the expensive part of printing.
    3. change paper back to glossy one.
    4. Many people were printing yesterday then we were out of paper, then out of ink.
    5. Change catridge, change paper.
    6. Find a tube, put it in.

    I have 42 inch by 72 inch. It will be difficult for me to bring it. Fortunately Dmitri agrees to help me bring it.

    Imagine my friend Jun liu in Japan who has to carry it all the way in the long long flight!!! So it will be specially helpful for the international traveller as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At yesterday's poster session, I noticed the ME1 poster was printed on 8 1/2 by 11'' paper. I asked professor Taro Sekikawa from Japan whether he would consider using this service. He laughed, said, depend on the printing price. If it is not too expensive, he would consider it. He said he printed the poster on small paper just for the convenience of carrying it.

    ReplyDelete